Taking chance of periodic Linux distro releases, at the Computer Science Department, Politehnica University of Bucharest, a BitTorrent based distribution system was created. The system accessible on this website provides access to:
- 6 initial seeders for the distribution of distro images. A few minutes after the download starts you will have the whole swarm to download from...
- high bandwidth (1Gbps seeder local connection, 10Gbps Internet access connection)
- real time statistics of the swarm status (average download/upload speed graphics, number of seeders and leechers, etc)
The results of this experiment will be used in the P2P-Next project, whose target is to create an infrastructure for fast content delivery using the peer-to-peer model. Politehnica University of Bucharest is a partner in P2P-Next.
All the 6 seeders will remain active for two weeks after the release. One seeder will be available after that as well. Considering the experiment results satisfactory, the system will be used to deliver other images and large files for the open-source community. The system could be upgraded to a permanent seeder.
More information will pe posted soon. Stay tuned! Follow us on Twitter.
- Mircea Bardac - mircea.bardac [at] cs.pub.ro
- Razvan Deaconescu - razvan.deaconescu [at] cs.pub.ro
- George Milescu - george.milescu [at] cs.pub.ro